Burnhope is a village and Civil Parish situated in North West Durham and has approximately 1200 residents
The Parish area consists mainly of the settlements of Burnhope,Peartree and Holmside.
Burnhope is the only place that the Durham Miners Gala has been held apart from Durham City.This was in 1926 the year of the General Strike when it was banned at Durham.Secret arrangements were made to hold the Gala in Burnhope unbeknown to the authorities.The Parish Council marked the 90th Anniversary of this event with a plaque mounted on the Pit Wheel Memorial at the entrance to the village.
Burnhope has one of the largest War Memorials situated in the British Isles.Recently substantial funding has been secured to repair/upgrade the memorial with work expected to be complete in early September 2017.
Two miles south east of Burnhope are the ruins of Langley Hall,a 16th century fortified Manor House.
Play Area and land adjacent to cricket field
Burnhope Pit Wheel Memorial
Various planted areas including tubs
Christmas Tree and Decorations
A Place to Grow (Italby Paddock) Allotments,Skate Park and sitting area.This area is under the jurisdiction of Burnhope Partnership.
Burnhope War Memorial and Remembrance Gardens